Wednesday 1 October 2014

The Gift of Trust

There is that moment of magic between horse and human when the horse feels safe and trusting enough to want your touch.

I had that moment happen with my little mare Story about a week ago.  I went to see her and took a moment to rub her under her jaw.  

Up until that point she has submitted to touch but hasn't enjoyed it.  

I noticed a change in her right away.  She leaned into my hand and her eyes softened.  She stood there quietly, enjoying the affection that I was there to offer.  When I moved my hands to the top of her head, she stood quietly still, just enjoying the attention.

To me it was a huge breakthrough for her.  She is giving me her trust inch by inch.  It so rewarding to see how far she has come in the past 2 years. 


 

Right from the moment she arrived, I instinctively knew that this was a horse who just needed time, something that is precious and important.  

Some horses can be turned around in a very short time, but with others due to circumstance you need to earn it.  I have had a few of these types and once they trust you, you have an amazing relationship.  A bond stronger than most.  

I know that it comes down to dollars and cents for people so many times horses are discarded because they haven't come around quickly enough.  It really makes me sad.  

When I go out with the herd, I spend lots of time gently touching their faces. What I have observed is how much they actually like it.  I use very light pressure and massage their entire head, even their nostrils and gums.  It's really neat to watch them lower their heads and now they will come up and rest their faces up against me and just stand all quiet.

I love going out and spending time with them, no agenda in mind other than being there.  It is such a peaceful and wonderful experience.  The only sounds are the odd sneeze or the birds singing in the distance.  These moments are magical.  They take turns coming up to greet me, most of them moving on after a few moments.  Some come over specifically just to stand near and touch me with their noses.  It is a great feeling to be chosen as their place of comfort.

It feel so lucky to have the honour of being in the midst of these amazing creatures who continue to amaze me and to fill my heart.  They are such a gift.







No comments:

Post a Comment