Tuesday 16 September 2014

A Little Foal Time Is Good for the Soul

Last night I went out and spent some time with the mares and foals.

For me there is nothing more calming than to be in the midst of a herd of horses.  I'm sure that strikes terror in the heart of some people but I have been around them all my life and being in their presence brings me so much peace.



I haven't been able to spend as much time with the wee ones lately due to travel so I made a point of getting out and spending some time with them.  All three of them came to greet me and have a nibble.  One was pulling on the straps of my top, one was chewing my hair and one was giving me kisses.  

I love how friendly they are with everyone who comes out to see them.  They all leave their momma's side to greet visitors.  One little guy will even run across the field to say hello.  So adorable!  Being around them just  warms my heart.

I especially have a soft spot for one little guy who was all crooked and twisted at birth.  He and I bonded when I had to give him antibiotics and massage and stretch his poor little contracted tendons.  I am so pleased to say that he has dramatically straightened up and should turn out just fine.  Oh the resilience of youth! 

They are all growing like weeds and I will be weaning them near the end of October.  

Years ago, when my dear friend was sick, she told me that I had to take over being their "mom" when she could no longer do so.  It was a very difficult and sad moment and I was honoured and touched that she trusted me to take over the job.  They hold such a special place in my heart as do their dams.  I have known these mares for 10 years and have raised a few crops of their foals, not to mention I own a few of the babies.

They have taught me so much and continue to teach me all the time.  Hours spent with the herd, observing their subtle and silent communication is such a gift.




No comments:

Post a Comment