Saturday 2 August 2014

Catching Game...Or Not!

I am a person who gets bored easily.  Thankfully, being around horses is ever changing and always keeps my interest.  

If you have the privilege of working around multiple horses, you begin to realize that although you can do similar things with each one, they are all individuals and can't be treated exactly the same.

I have this young mare who likes to play the catching game with me.  If she was a typical horse (which she is not) I would chase her until she got tired of being kept moving and she would give in.  

Well, I happen to know if I tried to play that game with her she would definitely outlast me.  So today she decided to challenge me and started playing her catching game.  I kept her away from me for a while.  Every time she would try and come past, I would chase her away.

Eventually my mare who is the sweetest and most compliant horse I have ever had the privilege of owning came up to me and I put a halter on her.  I turned away from my game playing mare and took the sweet one toward the gate.  When she realized that she had lost my attention, she came up and stood quietly to be haltered, which was exactly what I hoped she would do.  

She made me smile.  They are such funny creatures sometimes but the bigger lesson is that you just can't treat them all the same.

If nothing else she keeps me interested.




No comments:

Post a Comment