Thursday 31 July 2014

For Those Who Cannot Speak

When it comes to the welfare of the animals in my care, I don't always win popularity contests.

But honestly, I am completely fine with that.  In particular, I am talking about the horses in my world.  They do not have a voice and somebody has to look out for them.

People who know me well, understand and respect this part of me.  I make decisions first and foremost with welfare of the animal(s) in mind and secondly the happiness of the customers.


It is not an easy job and do I make the odd enemy over it?  Yes, sadly I do.  Will that change me or how I operate?  Absolutely not.

Everything I do and say comes from my heart--whether people get that or not it is completely their choice. 

Horses are non-verbal creatures.  They mostly hide their pain and discomfort as a protection mechanism.  If they are showing signs of feeling pain it is because it is quite severe.  Sometimes they will limp or in cases of very severe pain, they will become sweaty and their heart rate will increase and respiration will be shallow and fast.

Over and over and over again, you see people accusing horses of "turning bad".  Horses don't just start bucking for no reason.  When their behaviour changes dramatically, the first thing I look for is pain and 9 times out of 10 I will find something is wrong.

For example, there was a horse boarded at our facility.  A sweet mare, owned by a very kind and caring lady.  This horse started laying down when she was being ridden.  She phoned a chiropractor first.  The chiropractor felt it was behavioural.  She asked my advice and I said I believed it to be pain as this mare was far too kind and nothing had really changed in her world.  She then phoned the vet.  The vet, who is very reputable brought some students along.  He asked his students: "do you think this is behavioural 
or physical?"  All of the students immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was behavioural.  The vet performed a nerve block and it was determined that this lovely mare had navicular disease.  So thankfully, the owner of this great little horse cared enough to fully investigate what was wrong before resorting to "correcting" her behaviour under saddle.

This sweet little mare has been retired and is receiving the loving care that she so deserves.  

How many times would a person have jumped to the conclusion that a horse is bad and disciplined them severely or even "canned" them for behaviour caused by discomfort?  Far too many times unfortunately.  They are trying to speak but nobody's listening.  

So please do right by your animals and if something ever changes dramatically in their behaviour, look for physical discomfort first.  They don't lie.  They only do the best that they can.   Get to know what their "normal" is.  Once you do that you will be able to tell when they are off.  

What they give you in return makes it all worthwhile.

Just my two cents...

No comments:

Post a Comment