Tuesday 20 August 2013

My Job

I have been working hard the last couple of days.

Usually I live a pretty carefree life, just hanging out in the pen with my herd and sometimes I get ridden, but not very often.  My lady has lots of horses to ride so she doesn't often get on me.  We have a special relationship and she is just happy to have me around.  She mostly brings me in for pampering or massage sessions on my neck.  I think I am a pretty lucky horse although I wish my lady only spent time with me.  I don't like sharing her attention.  

Because I am very kind and laid back, my lady trusts me with the little wee riders.  Little Abby came and rode me a few days ago.  She is only two years old but she loves spending time with me.  She tells her mommy that I am her horse.

It seems that it is my job now to be with the children.  An honor that my lady has bestowed upon me.   She tells me that I have the most important job out of all of her horses.

Although I love kids, I get really bored walking in circles in the arena.  In fact I got a bit annoyed with my lady and nipped at her.  She was not very happy with me and got after me for doing that.  She has to remember that I am still a horse and even though I am mostly calm and gentle, I can sometimes be disrespectful.

Sometimes I need a change of scene and want to go out and explore.  It's so much more fun than always being inside.  I got to go for a ride out on the road a couple of days ago and I was so happy to get out.  My lady's daughter rode me and we got along quite well.  She is a good rider and doesn't pull on my face which is really important because I have problems with my neck that I will have for my whole life.

I heard her say that she might take me to something called a "show" next year.  I wonder what that means? In spite of my neck and my slightly crooked face they tell me I am a very pretty mare.

I am what they consider "green broke" but because I am so calm and quiet, people sometimes forget that.  My lady is slowly working on getting me to work only from leg pressure.  I am going to hopefully become what they call a "liberty horse" someday which means I will be able to be ridden without a bridle.  Because she doesn't ride me often it is taking a long time for us to get to that point but it is fun learning.  She also wants to teach me tricks because I am a smart girl.  At least that is what she says about me.

I hope she doesn't teach me anything too silly.

Oh well, I will humor her because she takes good care of me and I am very patient.






No comments:

Post a Comment