Friday 28 March 2014

Hanging With the Boys

Last night I brought two of my geldings in to hang out with me.

Most of the time, I tend to impose goals for the time that I spend with each horse and in some ways lose the most basic connection with them.

Because I have 5 horses and look after approximately 18 more, I am fairly tight for time when it comes to my own and as a result they get the short end of the stick.

It was wonderful to be alone with them, quietly reconnecting and really taking my time in their grooming and enjoying the moment instead of rushing through so I can saddle them up. 

I could see that Sonny recognized the less purposeful energy in me and actually put his head down, allowing me to give his face and poll a good brushing--something that he usually resists.  His eyes were half shut and he was really enjoying the attention.  

Jacob was nice and relaxed, enjoying the moment and not being his usual flighty self. 

I turned them in the arena for a roll and as soon as Sonny got to his feet he took off kicking and bucking, trying to entice Jacob to play.  They raced each other around the arena, doing lap after lap only stopping when they were totally winded and sweaty.  

I love watching them at liberty--especially the geldings because they are playful creatures. Mares tend to herd the crew, keeping certain horses away from their buddies.  They are far more serious about life than their male counterparts.

Once playtime was over they came over to hang out with me.  Sonny was very engaged and so we did a little liberty dance.

He was matching my foot steps as I walked around the arena with him at my side.  Slowly circling, moving forward and backing one step at a time. 

I love the feeling of connecting with their energy--their sole focus on my body language and movement.  It is so powerful, almost magical.  Getting back in touch with it last night really grounded me.  My only obstacle was time.  I would have been content to spend a few more hours with them as they would with me.

Who needs a therapist?








No comments:

Post a Comment